Friday, December 31, 2010

Bonhoeffer

Today I have finished reading Bonhoeffer, a book unlike any other. Before I began I knew virtually nothing about him, but upon finishing I feel as if he was a close friend, a dear brother to me. Though I knew what the outcome of the end of the book (and his life) would be – his execution in a concentration camp - the nearer I got to the end I kept on hoping maybe there is a way he would live, maybe, maybe… But unfortunately it is now 66 years to late to do anything about the outcome. What a wonderful book to stir up some thoughts, dig further into ones own Christian living.
None could deny the kind of man Bonhoeffer was, even the concentration camp doctor writing about his last moments on earth said: “I have hardly ever seen a man die so entirely submissive to the will of God.” I have to say Bonhoeffer pushes me to become a better Christian and to live a more Christ centered life, I didn’t think I needed a wake up call and I didn’t think this is the book to give me it but I got it. I wish on the day I die I can mutter those same words are were Bonhoeffer’s last 
“this is the end…for me the beginning of life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment